Thursday, December 16, 2010

I am a horrible blogger!

So, apparently I am horrible at blogging. It has been a whole 2 weeks since I last posted! So embarrassing! :-/ Oh well, I am going to do a bit of a rewind today and post a "Monday Meditation" here. SO much on mind this morning, so I want to share it with you all!

I have around 5 books that I have started reading and have had a hard time deciding which one I want to just go ahead and finish. I'll read a few pages of one book one day, another the next and so on and so forth....BUT the other day I decided that I am going to dive in and finish "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan first!

As you have read in past posts, I have a little different outlook on Christmas this year. It has become very obvious to me that God is purposefully changing my heart about the "secular-ness" (if that's even a word) of the holiday and He's very much HIGHLIGHTING things for me to read in order to get His point across. But I love it because I LOVE knowing God is working ON ME and CHANGING ME! It's so awesome and I welcome it!

Chapter four in "Crazy Love" is titled "Profile of the Lukewarm." I have been getting hit pretty hard from all sides with this chapter, let me tell you! Boy, he has been in my head and heard all my excuses and then wrote them down in this book! It's crazy! ;-) If you don't have this book, I highly recommend it. I won't go over all of the characteristics he lists of lukewarm Christians, I only want to talk about one. Here is what it says:


"LUKEWARM PEOPLE think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Daily life is mostly focused on today's to-do list, this week's schedule, and next month's vacation. Rarely, if ever, do they intently consider the life to come. Regarding this, C.S. Lewis writes, "If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for this present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."

Uhhhhmmmm, HELLO! Wow. I read this and felt a big punch in the gut! How many times I quoted the verse "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things" (Col. 3:2) yet I am not even living it! I am guilty and pointing my finger straight at my chest! This really made me think about the Christmas season specifically. How many times do we get wrapped up in the shopping, the planning, the cooking, and, IF WE ARE REALLY HONEST WITH OURSELVES we TRULY forget what the REAL meaning of Christmas is for Christians. It is very easy to do. I have felt convicted about worrying about the perfect Christmas present or making sure my kids have the most memorable Christmas morning ever, when what I really need to focus on is making sure they PERSONALLY know the gift that was given to all mankind, the reason we celebrate Christmas, Jesus Christ. The best gift I could ever present to them! It's more than just reading them the bible story and saying we are celebrating Christ's birth. I believe it's about living it daily in front of our children.

I have sat here and wondered why I am so concerned about these "earthly" things, when they will all wither away, none of them matter, when we really focus on what our real purpose is on this earth. Are we here for personal gain? To live the most successful and wealthy life? To have all the earthly possessions that we can obtain? To be the first at everything? The best at everything? None of the above. Our purpose is to praise and glorify our heavenly Father, and to make the most of our time here making sure we tell as many people as we can about Jesus Christ. When I think about it that way, all the stores and the decorations and the presents really seem insignificant! But, oh, how easily it is to get into our daily, earthly lives and push this aside.

My prayer today is that God will keep my focused on heavenly things and not earthly things. That this Christmas season I will be able to teach my kids that is IS more blessed to give than to receive and that remembering that God gave us the ultimate gift of His precious son, Jesus Christ, that first Christmas morning in order that he may live a sinless life in order to bear OUR sins, die on the cross, and be raised on the third day!

Thank you Father for your gift of Jesus Christ and salvation, and the many gifts you bless us with on this earth. Help us to remember that these things on earth will perish and wither away, but your promises endure forever and ever. Help us not to lose sight of the true reason we celebrate this day we call "Christmas" and continue to give us reminders of your love and grace. You are amazing, loving, gracious and beautiful to us and we praise you for who you are above all else!

No comments:

Post a Comment